Thursday, March 25, 2010

Joe Biden's Gaffe

Warning: This post has strong language.

By now, everyone's heard of Joe Biden's response to the health care bill, calling it "a big fucking deal." And of course, every uptight moralist in the country is screaming their little heads off. All I have to say is, really? Were you lot raised by nuns? Or your Aunt Gertrude? Maybe it's a result of my upbringing (growing up the way I did, I had (and still have) a pretty foul mouth), but I just don't see the big deal. The F-bomb is just a word. Words only have power when we give it to them. I can go up to you and call you a "dingdong glibbleglooble" and you'll just think I'm mentally ill and off my medication. But if I walk up to you and call you a "fucking asshole douchebag" you're likely to either get upset, start crying, or kick my ass. But what's the real difference? The intent is the same, it's just that the second phrase has more loaded words than the first one, which is word salad. But what if the tables were reversed and "dingdong glibbleglooble" was as offensive as the F-bomb? It wouldn't just be word salad then, and an accident of nature could have made that phrase the equivalent of calling someone a fucking asshole, and calling someone a fucking asshole the equivalent of calling someone "dingdong glibbleglooble." (Ha, I love typing that... I'm too easily amused)

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm not even really defending Joe Biden. But before people get all angry and go on a moral crusade against bad language, stop and put it in perspective. Did the sun crash into the earth because the Vice President referred to something he felt strongly about as a "big fucking deal?" No. I'm still alive, and if the sun crashed into the earth I have a feeling I'd be pretty toasty.

And for your viewing pleasure, I'm including the video so you can hear it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment