Friday, March 26, 2010

Carpe Noctem: Seize the Night

For some reason, I always function better at night than I do during the day. I am extremely sensitive to sunlight, and I can't see well in the sunlight, and years of hunching over a computer in the dark further conditioned me to be acclimated to the night rather than the day. And days I don't go to work I go to bed around 6:00 AM and wake up around 6:00 PM. It used to drive my dad insane- he used to ask me, "What are you, Zetsubou, an owl?" And then he'd proceed to tell me that normal girls didn't sleep all day and stay up all night working on computers.

Another thing: when I'm awake in the day, I get hungry. When I'm awake at night, I don't. It's a great source of amusement for my coworkers when I come back from break having bought half of the Starbucks. But then when we have employee parties at night, I never eat anything.

For some reason, night lends a strange power to my ability to code. When I'm working on programs, I work at night, and things get done about a million times faster and more accurately than when I work during the day. Actually, I think it creeps some people out- is Zetsubou a vampire? A werewolf? Baba Yaga? (Actually, I used to be told the Baba Yaga story on a regular basis- it was how my great-grandmother kept me in line). But that's a story for another time. Maybe one day I'll do a post on the stories I was told as as child.

Anyway, my point in making this post is- try to seize the night yourself one day. See what you can get done, and how much nicer it is to think in the dark rather than than in the bright, harsh sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment