Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dear Senelė

It's hard to believe that just eight years ago you were still with me.

Today I felt like you were with me again, beside me as I cleaned up your grave site. I could practically hear you talking to me again, telling me what to do to fix my appearance and how to do my job, even though you didn't know a thing about computers back in 2002, when you passed. I could hear you telling me to look after my dad, make sure he eats right and doesn't work too hard.

Well, even so, there's a lot you've missed in the past year. I turned 24. Believe it or not, Senelė, the sickly little girl you used to look after is officially in adulthood. Yeah, shocker. Even I'm surprised I made it this far. Our clan doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to health, either mental or physical. But I haven't shot myself, and I haven't contracted any deadly diseases, so as far as I'm concerned I'm doing pretty damn well.

Last summer it seemed like every single celebrity passed away. Not that you'd care, you only watched the television for the news and South Park, which you'll be pleased to know is still on.

I'm doing well financially, even though the economy still sucks. My coworkers are doing extremely well, and we're even goofier than we were last year now. Our workload has increased so much, though, that we're looking for a fourth person to add to our loony bin of computers. You'd like it there, we're always looking for a laugh. I'm not sure if you'd be pleased about this, or want to whack me with a broom again, but I still haven't lost my fondness for playing pranks on people. I still mess with my coworkers, and they get me right back.

You'll also be happy to know that I have continued your tradition of playing the lottery once a month, and last year in December won $200. It's not anything major, but I thought it might make you happy to know that the child you raised hasn't departed from her upbringing.

Dad is doing well. He and his friends have missed the midlife crisis stage, and now they're the funniest 40somethings I've ever met in my life. Seriously, at that age most guys are moping around and trying to buy a Ferrari. Dad and company just go to the pub once a week and complain about things.

I could go on, but you've probably got better things to do in the Great Beyond than listen to me ramble on and on. So here's to another year, where hopefully you will watch over me.

Love,
Simona

No comments:

Post a Comment