Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mormons!

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I got visited by some Mormons. I had just gotten home from work and was getting ready to relax with a nice plate of delicious kebabs and a can of ginger ale and watch a movie when the doorbell rang. I opened the door, and on my doorstep were two young men who looked like they were going to a job interview. But that was stupid, because who goes to a job interview at 7:00 on Saturday night?

Anyway, at first I thought they were looking for the downstairs neighbor, who occasionally has fancy-dress parties, so I told them they wanted to go the next floor down. They looked really confused, and then told me that they were on their mission, and wondered if I had a few minutes to talk to them about religion?

I'm not a rude person, so I said OK. They first asked me if I went to a church on a regular basis. No, I haven't gone to church since I was very young (before my mother died), except for funerals and weddings. They asked me what I did for a living, and I told them. Then they started talking to me about how finding religion could fill the void in my life with something productive.

We ended up talking for about ten more minutes, and then they went on to the next neighbor. It made me think a bit, though. Do I really seem so miserable that people who meet me for the first time think I need to do something? Admittedly I probably did look like I just crawled out of a basement (when I'm relaxing I wear crap clothes), and it had been a hard day at work, so I probably looked like I'd just gotten out of a fight, but really? I know I'm depressed, and rather depressing to be around, but if two guys who I've never seen before in my life think I'd be better off if I took on their religion can see it, then maybe I should try to be less depressed?

Just something else for me to think about, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment